Skip to main content

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago, I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios.

This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using (as I do at Hockey Gear HQ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme, and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012.

So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...


Site Traffic
Here's the data from Statcounter:
Area Chart
With very little hype (I dropped links a couple times over at OTF, and sent out a few via social media) I'd say this did OK, drawing in just over 1,600 visitors in total, for over 2,500 page-views. Considering the off-the-cuff manner in which this all came together, that's not too shabby.
Site Revenue
To monetize the site, I went with a very basic strategy - 3 Google Adsense boxes. One on the sidebar, one right underneath the Trade Generator's output on the main page, and another in the footer.

Total earnings? $11.47, based on 19 click-throughs of those ads. That's about half a penny per page-view, however, which ain't half bad. It just barely offset the $10 I spent to register the domain name, but of course doesn't cover the time & effort I put into the site.
Trade Projection Accuracy
The scheme I used to generate scenarios was extremely simple - I simply created a spreadsheet listing the pending Unrestricted Free Agents on teams which were out of the playoffs on that day (February 15, I think), and then had scenarios which either had them staying with their current team, or being traded to any of the other teams which were in the playoff hunt.

Obvious stuff, right?

In the end, that strategy led (once again) to a 5.5% accuracy rate, which is almost twice as accurate as what HockeyBuzzHogwash.com tracked for Eklund a few years back.

In other words, a little dash of common sense yields scenarios which are more likely to come true than those you hear from the internet's assorted anonymous rumor-mongers.

Conclusion
With actual planning and development ahead of time, I absolutely think a dedicated site for purely speculative NHL trade conversation could not only be profitable, but highly entertaining for readers. There are a few possibilities which jump out at me for directions such a site could go in:

1. You could develop posts for individual trade scenarios with polls and discussion (plugged into social media like Facebook or Twitter) as to the viability of that individual deal.

2. Another idea to "gamify" such a site would be to implement Predictive Markets, rewarding the users who show the most savvy in discerning what trades actually go down. It would be interesting to cut off such markets early on Trade Deadline Day, and just how accurately the market did overall.

3. Advertising could probably be more specifically targeted, i.e. ads for team/player jerseys relevant to the discussion at hand, rather than just pure Adsense.

Now, will I find the time to do such a thing for the 2013 NHL Trade Deadline? Probably not, but we'll see!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheer up, it's the holidays...

Why is it that various media outlets continue trying to put their own spin on the "what's wrong with the NHL" story? Our latest example comes from The Hockey News , in a piece by Jay Greenburg entitled, "Excitement Level On The Decline." Take the opening sentence: Attendance is down and yet still up from before the lockout, leaving it arguable whether buildings in New Jersey and Florida are half-full or half empty. It's no surprise that attendance is down from last season, particularly if you compare the first half of 2005-06 to the first half of this year. Coming out of the lockout, there were legions of fans starved to see the on-ice product, particularly in light of the massive rule changes. This year is more indicative of business as usual, so the fact that the league is above pre-lockout levels is a positive. Toss in the projection that overall revenues are increasing despite a 1% decrease in attendance, and I'd say that paying fans have come back

How I'm Trying To Make Money Sports Blogging

To kick off this series of articles general sports-blogging articles here at OTF Classic, I think it's best to start with a comment that Brad left here last week, after I shared my goals for 2012 , which include specific revenue targets: I considered diving into the world of internet marketing myself, but I felt that my friends would hate me for bugging them about stuff. I mean, it's pretty low-risk high-reward, so it's tempting. I wouldn't mind reading about tips on how to maximize impact of blogging in general to make it a legitimate income source. Trying to make money at sports blogging can be a very touchy subject - for the vast majority of us, this is an activity we pursue to both exercise our creativity and share our love of the game, whether it's hockey, football, badminton, whatever, with fellow fans. Mixing that personal conversation with a commercial message can turn people off, especially if it becomes too intrusive for the reader. It's not unrea

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...